Everybody has their own unique recipe for brown bread and this our favourite.
Makes 1 loaf or 12 slices
- 350g wholemeal flour
- 50g plain flour
- 1 level teaspoon bread soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 50g porridge oats 3 2 large eggs
- 1 dessertspoon sunflower oil
- 500ml buttermilk
- 2 large dessertspoons treacle
- 75g chopped walnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 170oC/gas mark 3.
2. Put the flours, sieved bread soda, salt and porridge oats into a large mixing bowl and mix them well. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs together with the oil and add to the dry mixture.
3. Next, mix in the buttermilk and mix until it reaches a ‘sloppy’ consistency. Finally, add the treacle and chopped walnuts.
4. Pour into a 900g loaf tin and smooth the top of the bread with a wet spoon. Sprinkle some seeds or porridge oats on top of the bread and bake in the oven for one hour.
5. After the hour has lapsed, remove the bread from the tin and return to the oven to bake for a further 20minutes.
Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool down.
Recipe Credit: Edward Hayden
Photography: Brian Clarke at Harry Weir