- 350g wholemeal flour
- 50g plain flour
- 1 level teaspoon bread soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 50g porridge oats
- 2 large eggs
- 1 dessertspoon sunflower oil
- 500ml buttermilk
- 2 large dessertspoons treacle
- 75g chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 170oC/gas mark 3.
- Put the flours, sieved bread soda, salt and porridge oats into a large mixing bowl and mix them well. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs together with the oil and add to the dry mixture.
- Next, mix in the buttermilk and mix until it reaches a ‘sloppy’ consistency. Finally, add the treacle and chopped walnuts.
- Pour into a 900g loaf tin and smooth the top of the bread with a wet spoon. Sprinkle some seeds or porridge oats on top of the bread and bake in the oven for one hour.
- After the hour has lapsed, remove the bread from the tin and return to the oven to bake for a further 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool down.
If you would rather not add the treacle then leave it out and lighter coloured bread will be achieved.