This recipe for carrot and sesame burgers with chickpeas is so simple to make and a great alternative for the guests at a barbecue.
This recipe is from Asador Restaurant in Dublin, a favourite spot for the F&W team, particularly in the summer when we are craving grilled food! To create a blend of textures the burger is made from a combination of raw and cooked carrot, with chickpeas for added bite. You can serve the burger with any decent quality bread bun – brioche or sesame buns are best.
Yield: Serves: 6
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 750g carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 x 410g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon tahini paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 whole egg
- 100g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
For the sesame yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice 150ml natural yoghurt
- 6 buns, sesame or brioche Avocado, thinly sliced
- Red onion, sliced
- Handful rocket leaves Cherry tomatoes
- Heat one tablespoon oil in a large frying pan over a low to medium heat. Tip in two-thirds of the carrot and stir gently. Cook for eight to ten minutes until the carrot is soft. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Take the remaining grated carrot and blend, in a food processor, with the chickpeas, onion, two tablespoons tahini, cumin and the egg.
- Blend to a thick paste and set aside in a large bowl. Add in the cooled, cooked carrot along with the breadcrumbs, lemon zest and sesame seeds.
- Season well and, using wet hands, form into six burgers. Cover and chill while you heat the barbecue.
- For the sesame yoghurt, whisk the tahini and lemon juice into the yoghurt and set aside.
- When the barbecue is nice and hot, add the burgers and cook for five minutes each side until crisp and golden. While the burgers are cooking lightly toast the buns.
- To assemble, spread some sesame yoghurt on the buns, add the avocado, top with the burger, then follow with the onion, rocket and cherry tomatoes. Serve with a spicy chilli sauce.
TIP: Try with spicy sweet potato wedges, tossed with crushed coriander seeds and ground cumin.