- 1 tin of chickpeas
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 100g/1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat an oven to 100C/210F. Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Carefully drain the liquid from the tin of chickpeas into a bowl. Measure out 100ml of the liquid (aquafaba).
- Add the cream of tartar to the aquafaba and whisk at medium speed for about 3 minutes, then add the sugar a spoonful at a time while continuously whisking.
- Add the lemon juice and whisk at full speed until the mixture has doubled in volume and is stiff.
- Pipe six even circles of the meringue onto the lined baking tray, then place into the oven. Cook for two hours, then turn off the oven, leaving the meringues inside to cool.
READ MORE: Five Tips For Vegan Baking
- This recipe is great served with whipped cashew cream, fresh fruit and dark chocolate.
- The meringues will get softer the longer they're kept for, so try to use them all within a day or two of baking.