It’s hard to make a case for turkey when you can just as easily have chicken – except in the case of this burger. Here, turkey – which can be dry and bland – is made juicy with some added bacon and gains depth of flavour from the Worcester sauce, saltiness from the Parmesan and a great aroma from the thyme and lemon zest. Topped with melted Gruyère, woody chanterelles and a little mayonnaise, and sandwiched between fluffy brioche buns, it is the ultimate burger.
- 2 shallots
- 25g butter, plus extra to fry the shallots
- 450g lean turkey mince
- 150g streaky bacon, finely chopped
- 1 medium organic egg
- 30g breadcrumbs (made from slightly stale bread)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon Worcester sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- A good pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200g chanterelle mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Olive oil
- 4 thin slices of Gruyère cheese
- 4 brioche buns
- A handful of mixed leaves, such as rocket, watercress, baby chard
- Peel and dice the shallots, then sauté in a frying pan with a little butter until softened. Put into a large mixing bowl with the turkey mince, bacon, egg, breadcrumbs, thyme, Worcester sauce, lemon zest and Parmesan. Season well with salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Form 4 equal-sized burgers with your hands and place on a plate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your grill.
- Put 25g of butter into a large pan on a medium-high heat, add the chanterelles and cook for around 5 minutes until soft. Add the parsley and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a plate and drizzle over a little olive oil.
- Fry the burgers in the pan over a medium heat, cooking for around 5 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Place a slice of Gruyère on top of each burger for the final 2 or 3 minutes of cooking.
- Split the brioche buns and toast under the hot grill, then spread mayonnaise on both sides and add some salad leaves. Place a cheesy burger on the bottom half of each, load with the chanterelles and put the top piece of brioche on. Serve immediately.