A traditional Spanish styled French toast typically made Easter.
Yield: Serves: 4-6
- 475ml/16fl oz milk
- 75g/3oz caster sugar
- 1 strip lemon peel
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 cardamom pod
- 12 slices stale white bread
- 2 eggs
- Olive oil
- Heat 450ml/15fl oz of milk with the sugar, lemon peel, cinnamon stick and cardamom.
- Remove from the heat, strain through a sieve and allow to cool.
- Arrange the bread in a single layer in a deep dish. Pour over the milk and leave for 5 minutes to absorb the milk.
- Beat the eggs with the remaining milk and dip each piece of bread in the egg mixture and set aside until ready to cook.
- Heat the oil over a high heat and fry the bread on both sides working in small batches.
- Serve on warm plates with a drizzle of honey or dulce de leche.