It's Throwback Thursday again and today we have a recipe from our March 2010 issue.
As part of this weekly series, we’re going to be sharing some older content from our magazine to help look back at what the Irish food scene was like when FOOD&WINE Magazine started.
This week's recipe comes from Hugo Arnold, cookbook author, food journalist and hospitality consultant. Hugo contributed to the magazine for the entirety of its run, with his Midweek Meals and Easy Entertaining features firm favourites of our readers.
Today's recipe comes from Hugo's '3 Ways With...' series, where he would pick a different ingredient for every issue and showcase it in three different dishes. For this issue, Hugo showcased wild garlic in three different ways: this spaghetti dish, kohlrabi soup with wild garlic and chicken with wild garlic stuffing.
Get the recipe for Hugo's spaghetti with prawns and wild garlic below.
Spaghetti with prawns and wild garlic
- 450g large uncooked prawns in their shells
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- Olive oil
- 250ml white wine
- 400g spaghetti
- 1 handful wild garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and well rinsed
- 1 chilli, deseeded and finely chopped, or to taste
- Remove the heads from the prawns and with a pair of scissors cut down the underside of the tail. Remove the shell. Reserve the prawn flesh.
- Sauté the shallots in olive oil for five minutes, add the prawn heads and tails and cook for a further five minutes over a gentle heat. Add the white wine and an equal quantity of water and simmer over a moderate heat for 10–15 minutes until reduced by more than half. Strain and reserve.
- Cook the spaghetti in plenty of salted boiling water.
- Roughly chop the prawn flesh and cook in one tablespoon of olive oil over a moderate heat for one minute. Add the wild garlic, parsley, capers and chilli and season with salt and pepper. Pour over the stock from the prawn shells, bring to simmering point and serve with the spaghetti.
Ways to change this spaghetti dish:
- Use linguine in place of spaghetti.
- Add other shellfish like mussels and clams.
- Add half a tin of chopped tomatoes at the same time as the wild garlic.
We’ll continue our Throwback Thursday series next week, so keep an eye on our website.
Read more: Mango and passion fruit éclairs
Read more: Apple Pudding with Toffee Sauce