It's Throwback Thursday again and today we have a recipe from our April 2011 issue.
As part of this weekly series, we’re going to be sharing some older content from our magazine to help look back at what the Irish food scene was like when FOOD&WINE Magazine started.
This week's recipe comes from Hugo Arnold, cookbook author, food journalist and hospitality consultant. Hugo contributed to the magazine for the entirety of its run, with his Midweek Meals and Easy Entertaining features firm favourites of our readers.
Today's recipe comes from Hugo's '3 Ways With...' series, where he would pick a different ingredient for every issue and showcase it in three different dishes. For this issue, Hugo showcased new potatoes in three different ways: this dish, chicken, new potatoes and asparagus and potato salad, green beans and lentils.
Get the recipe for Hugo's spiced new potatoes below.
Spiced New Potatoes with Coriander and Peas
- 16 new potatoes, roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 3cm piece ginger, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- 300g frozen peas, defrosted
- bunch coriander
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan of well-salted water, bring to the boil, simmer for two minutes and drain.
- In a large pan, heat the oil and add the hot potatoes. Sauté over a moderate heat, turning occasionally, until they start to colour, about 10 minutes.
- Add the shallots and ginger, cook for five minutes and then add the spices. Cook for another two to three minutes or until they lose their raw aroma.
- Add the peas, toss through the potatoes, transfer to a bowl and garnish with the coriander. (If you use fresh peas you’ll need to de-pod and cook them in unsalted water until tender.)
Ways to change:
- Add one finely chopped red chilli along with the shallots.
- Garnish with a teaspoon of black onion seed.
- Add two finely chopped garlic cloves at the same time as the shallot.
We’ll continue our Throwback Thursday series next week, so keep an eye on our website.
Read more: Mango and passion fruit éclairs
Read more: Apple Pudding with Toffee Sauce