Today's Throwback Thursday recipe by Donal Skehan comes from our March 2011 issue.
As part of this weekly series, we’re sharing some older content from our magazine to help look back at what the Irish food scene was like when FOOD&WINE Magazine started.
This week's recipe comes from one of the nation's best-loved cooks, Donal Skehan. In 2011, Donal was only starting out on his culinary journey; now he's known all over the world as an Irish cook who highlights tasty food and accessible techniques. Donal, who featured on the cover of our 2011 issue, had two books and a hit cookery show to his name at the time, but his career has progressed from strength to strength since. He has published several more cookbooks, moved across the pond to the States and starred in numerous cookery shows.
Commenting on this recipe in our March 2011 issue, Donal said:
“This is a really tasty starter dish, perfect for preparing the ingredients ahead of time and simply assembling at the last minute to create a pretty impressive salad. If you don't want to roast the beetroot yourself, you can buy precooked vac packed ones in the supermarket.”
Try out Donal's recipe below.
Beetroot, Goats Cheese, Pine Nut and Rocket Salad
- 6 medium-sized beetroot
- 75g pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- Half a clove of garlic, minced
- A good pinch of sea salt and ground black pepper
- 250g goats' cheese, cut into bite-size pieces
- 60g rocket leaves
- You can cook the beetroot ahead of time, simply wrap in tinfoil, place on an oven tray and bake for about an hour at 190C/Gas Mark 5 or until you can insert a fork smoothly. Remove from oven, allow to cool, then peel with knife and slice into quarters.
- On a large dry frying pan, over a medium heat, toast pine nuts, until golden brown, make sure to keep an eye on them as they can burn quite quickly.
- In a large bowl whisk together Dijon mustard, oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper and set aside.
- When ready to serve the salad, arrange beetroot quarters and goats cheese pieces on each plate. Toss the rocket leaves in the dressing and place a little on each plate. Finally, scatter each plate with the toasted pine nuts and serve straight away.