- 3 lbs bread flour
- 2 oz fresh yeast or 1 oz active dried yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 2 1/4 pints water
- 1 tsp salt
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water.
- When the yeast is frothy and the sugar is dissolved add the mixture to the flour with salt and remaining water.
- Knead for five minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Put dough into a large oiled bowl and covered with oiled cling wrap and put in a warm place for about an hour or until doubled.
- Punch dough down, cover, and leave to rise again for about a half hour.
- Punch down again gently and turn out onto a floured board. Divide dough into 24 even sized buns, slightly flattened (approx 3 oz each) and place on a lightly floured baking sheet. Allow to rise at room temperature until double in size - 2 to 3 hours.
- Heat oven 425°F (210°C). Dust rolls lightly with all-purpose flour and bake for about 15 minutes until or until they sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. Ideally, rolls should not be too brown on top.