F&W Pick: Asian beef salad
Author: Tara Walker
Mercier Press, €22.99
The aim of the TV3 chef’s first cookbook is to give people meals that are tasty, efficient and stress-free, using ingredients that are naturally in your fridge and press. From brunches to 10-minute meals to crowd-pleasers, all of the recipes are easy to follow, easier to create and even easier to eat.
Asian beef salad
- 400g lean beef steak, sirloin or fillet
- Green salad leaves of your choice
For the marinade
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 10ml rice wine vinegar
- 10ml Tamari soy sauce
- 10ml groundnut oil
For the oriental dressing
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Combine the marinade ingredients and marinate the beef in the fridge for two hours. Then remove from the fridge and allow to return to room temperature before cooking.
- Heat a griddle pan until very hot. Place the steak on the griddle (no need for oil). Cook the steak the way you like it – I recommend medium rare for this dish, but it’s up to you. Leave to rest in a warm place for a minimum of 5 minutes but preferably 10–15 minutes.
- While the meat is resting, prepare the oriental dressing by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl.
- To serve, place some green salad leaves on a plate and top with slices of the marinated beef steak. Drizzle some dressing on top. You can also heat up the rest of the marinade and drizzle it over for extra flavour and warmth.
Click here to see more delicious beef recipes