We love cooking this on the BBQ, but it works just as well in the oven.
Yield: Serves: 8-10
- 2 whole chickens, spatchcocked (ask your butcher to do this)
- 1 litre thick, plain yoghurt
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds; ground
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon oil
1 Mix all of the marinade ingredients together in a baking dish that’s large enough to accommodate the spatchcocked chicken.
2 Cut a few slashes on the thickest part of the chicken. Smear the marinade all over the chicken and cover with cling film. Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
3 Grill on medium heat on the barbecue or in the oven at 180°C/gas mark
4 for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until done (depending on the size of the chicken). Chop into serving pieces.
Tip: If you can't get garamasala or ground coriander, use a madras curry powder
Photography Credit: Harry Weir