Butternut squash and blue cheese salad is the ideal dish for a summers evening.
"We adore blue cheese – we can't help ourselves. Cashel Blue always hits the spot for us – the saltiness against the other salad ingredients is such an indulgence for us. But if you'd prefer something milder, you could always swap it for another firm favourite, like Fivemiletown goat's cheese." – Sprout & Co
Yield: Serves: 4
- 150g/5oz bulgur wheat
- 400ml/20fl oz hot water
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and sliced
- Olive oil
- 1 green apple, thinly sliced
- 50g/2oz spinach, kale and rocket
- 50g/2oz Cashel Blue cheese, crumbled
For the balsamic apple vinaigrette
- 150ml/5fl oz apple juice
- 40g/2oz sugar
- 50ml/2fl oz balsamic vinegar
- 225ml/8fl olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add hot water to a bowl with the bulgur wheat. Cover with clingfilm and leave to soak for 20 minutes.
- Toss the butternut squash in olive oil and roast in a preheated oven at 200ºC/gas mark 6 until tender and with some colour – about 20-30 minutes.
- For the balsamic apple vinaigrette, in a pot over a medium heat, reduce the apple juice and sugar down two-thirds. Add the balsamic vinegar. Pour the reduction in a bowl. As you whisk, slowly add the olive oil so it emulsifies. Season.
- Combine the bulgur wheat, apple and butternut squash in a large salad bowl with seasonal greens, such as kale, spinach and rocket. Season. Topped with the crumbled blue cheese and drizzle with vinaigrette.
Tip: You could use quinoa instead of bulgur wheat if you'd prefer a gluten-free option.