This recipe from Cliona Brennan, chef and founder at Sanctuary Escape, is a great side dish.
For the spicy carrot:
- 4 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Sea salt and black pepper
For the aubergine and pepper:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 aubergine, sliced
- 2 red peppers, sliced lengthways
- 6 spring onions, finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 small bunch coriander, plus extra to garnish
- 1 teaspoon sumac, to garnish
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, to garnish
- Olives and capers, to garnish, optional
- Steam or boil your carrots until they are soft enough to be pierced with a table knife. Drain and return to the pan, off the heat, to cool slightly.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the carrots and blitz with a stick blender. Alternatively, use a food processor or blender. Check for seasoning and blitz again until smooth.
- Brush the aubergine and carrots with the oil then chargrill on a griddle pan over a high heat for approximately 15 minutes, or until nicely charred on both sides, turning frequently. Set the aubergine and pepper aside to cool, then chop finely.
- Add the garlic, onion, chilli flakes, caraway seeds and fennel seeds to a pan and cook for a couple of minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, ground cumin, coriander, paprika, sugar and seasoning, turn down the heat and cook for ten minutes until the sauce has come together.
- Stir in the aubergines and peppers and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Place the carrot purée in a bowl and top with the pepper and aubergine mix. Garnish with additional coriander, sumac and sesame seeds to serve.
Click here to find out more about Sanctuary Escape in our interview with Cliona.