Who doesn't love a week that focuses on one of the best country's in Europe for wine? Of course, we're talking about Spain! Spanish Wine Week is back from Monday 8th to Sunday 14th April and with a host of exciting events across the country that we can't wait to check out.
Organised by Wines from Spain, Spanish Wine Week has been running for four years now and each year the line-up gets better. It was designed for both food and wine lovers, and of course, it is an exceptionally fun week for people who do, but you know what? We think it is actually for anyone who wants to explore wine, Spanish wine obviously, and learn more about wine, and how it works well with various food pairings in some of Dublin's best restaurants. Being a complete novice is almost as fun as being an expert because there are so many great events on that cover a variety of regions and winemakers.
Here are a few highlights from the 2019 Spanish Wine Week calendar that we feel are unmissable:
Events in Dublin
- At Balfes at The Westbury, special guest Gregory Buda, Director of Education at New York’s award-winning Dead Rabbit, hosts a Sherry Masterclass, guiding guests through a journey exploring sherry and its versatility in cocktails, with four sherries, cocktails and matching tapas.
- Pickle restaurant hosts a dinner with wine and drinks editor Aoife Carrigy pairing delicious North Indian food with wines from Northern Spain.
- China Sichuan will host a Spanish wine tasting dinner with wine expert Lynda Coogan of Wine Tasting Ireland & Mackenway Wines.
- WILDE at The Westbury has a fascinating five-course winemakers’ dinner exclusively focused on female Spanish winemakers, hosted by Master of Wine Lynne Coyle, Director of O’Briens Wines who, along with Alicia Eyaralar of Bodega Tandem will be exploring five wines made by women – three from Bodega Tandem in Navarra and two by Cristina Bernedo from Conde de Valdemar in Rioja.
- Urchin at Cliff Townhouse has a Cava tasting with Irish Independent wine writer Corinna Hardgrave
- Loose Canon will do a natural Spanish wine takeover pouring seven different natural Spanish wines throughout the evening.
- Irish Times wine writer John Wilson explores the hidden gems of Spanish wine in the Legal Eagle.
- Sherry expert Paddy Murphy and Rafa Salazar from Vinostito host a sherry and wine lunch paired with exceptional Irish seafood in Fish Shop Queen Street.
Even more events!
Also in Dublin, chef Blanca Valencia will host a tapas and wine workshops at Cooks Academy on April 10th tapas and Triggerfish Cook Shop on April 11th, and there will be plenty of additional activities throughout the week around the city too, including a Spanish quiz and flamenco night at Instituto Cervantes Dublin with a special prize for the winner, and unique Spanish wine tastings at Whelehans Wines and Woodberry Wines, 64 Wines, Lilac Wines, Clontarf Wines, Baggot Street Wines, Morton’s, The Winehouse, Gibney’s of Malahide, Martin’s Off-licence, Clontarf Wines and elsewhere. Also on April 10th, Rafa Salazar host a tasting of six lesser-known Spanish wines at On the Grapevine in Dalkey.
Events across the country
- A natural and organic wine tasting with Susan and Judith Boyle at their family pub Boyle’s of Kildare.
- An indie Spain tasting at Sheridans in Galway with sommelier Niall Flynn from LOAM.
- A Madrid versus Cataluña tasting in L’Atitude 51 in Cork.
- The first ever All-Ireland Tapas & Pintxo Championships in Tralee with TasteKerry, alongside IT Tralee Culinary Arts,
- Sua Basque Fusion, Slemish Market Supper Club and the Basque Championship of Pintxo ACYRE Euskadi on the 9th and 10th of April, with the winner of this competition (All-Ireland Champion) receiving an all-expenses-paid trip to the World Tapas Championships Valladolid 2019.
- There’s also a Wild Atlantic Wine dinner hosted by Elizabeth Fox on April 11th at the Ice House Hotel in Mayo.
- A tasting of Spanish whites and sparkling wines with raw and cured fish and shellfish at michelin-starred LOAM Galway.
- An evening of Irish-Spanish fusion tapas with Leslie Williams in Sol & Sombra in Tralee.
- A tasting of wines and foods from Castilla-León at Heart of Spain in Cork.
- The Twelve Hotel in Barna will bring the week of celebrations to a close on April 14th with a Fiesta in West, an afternoon of delicious Connemara tapas and exceptional wine selected from four different regions of Spain.
For further information on the events planned for Spanish Wine Week 2019 visit the website www.spanishwineweek.ie and to book a place at specific events, please contact the host venue directly.