This is one the most popular dishes served in Mak at D6 - it is all about friends and family sharing food. A great recipe for dinner parties.
- 2 squid tubes, about 170g
- ½ onion
- 2 red chillies
- 2 spring onions
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 pinch 5 spice powder
- 1 pinch 3 star anise
- 1 pinch sugar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons potato starch
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Slice the squid, onion and chilli into thin rings.
- Chop the spring onions into three pieces each.
- For the spicy salt and pepper mix, add salt, pepper, 5 spice powder, sugar and star anise and mix together.
- Heat up a wok with oil or a deep fryer if you have one until very hot.
- Dip the squid rings into the potato starch to coat them.
- Add the squid to your deep fryer and cook until golden brown – about 60 seconds.
- Remove the squid from the hot oil and place on kitchen roll.
- In a separate wok, add a teaspoon of oil then add garlic, chilli, onion and spring onion. Add the white wine and sesame oil.
- Fry veg until soft, add your calamari and toss in with veg.
- Finally, sprinkle your salt and pepper mix over your calamari to taste and serve.