F&W Pick: Chilled cucumber and grape soup with elderflower, pomegranate and mint
Gill Books, €24.99
Photography by Joanne Murphy
Co-founder of Ballymaloe Cooking School, Rory O’Connell’s new book features recipes from his popular RTE TV show, How to Cook Well. Cook Well Eat Well focuses on seasonal three-course meals designed for elegant entertaining. Vegetarians need not fret as there is a show-stopping, three-course vegetarian dinner plan designed to dazzle even the most stubborn meat-eater in here too.
Chilled cucumber and grape soup with elderflower, pomegranate and mint
- 350g cucumber, unpeeled and coarsely grated
- 150g seedless grapes, sliced
- 250ml natural yogurt
- 100ml apple juice
- 2–3 tablespoons elderflower cordial
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped
- fresh mint
- sea salt and freshly ground
- black pepper
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- fresh edible flower petals, such as rose, marigold, viola or chive, to garnish
1 Mix the cucumber, grapes, yogurt, apple juice, elderflower cordial, mint and some salt and pepper together. Taste and correct the seasoning. Chill for at least 1 hour.
2 To serve, divide the soup between six bowls and garnish each serving with sliced radishes, a generous sprinkling of pomegranate seeds and flower petals (if using). Serve immediately.