This sweet potato galette is a real crowd pleaser for any event, it can even be prepared the night before.
"This dish is a really good option for when you’re having a big family meal. You can par-cook the galettes for 20 minutes and then, just before serving, finish them off in the oven with the goat’s cheese for ten minutes, leaving you more time to enjoy time with your family." – The Three Q's
Yield: Serves: 6
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 small log good quality goat’s cheese, about 300g/11oz
- One packet frozen puff pastry
- 200g/7oz tub crème fraiche
- ½ lemon, juice only
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1 egg, beaten
- 50g/2oz pesto
- 200g/7oz mixed leaves, washed
- Cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ½ tablespoon cumin seeds, toasted
- ½ tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350ºF. Prick the sweet potatoes with a fork and place on a baking tray in the oven. After 15 minutes, flip over the potatoes and bake for another 15 minutes, or until soft when pierced with a knife.
- Leave the potatoes to cool, then chill in the fridge.
- Remove the rind from the goat’s cheese and beat until smooth. Reserve for later use.
- Roll out the puff pastry sheet and cut into 6 rectangles. Place on lined baking trays.
- Prick the pastry with a fork, leaving a 1cm frame around the edges. Place a tablespoon of the crème fraiche of each pastry sheet. Spread it out all over the pastry, excluding the 1cm frame. Place any leftover crème fraiche in a bowl and mix with the juice of a half a lemon. Reserve for later use.
- Peel and slice the sweet potatoes and place on top of the crème fraiche. Sprinkle with the sunflower seeds, pine nuts, paprika and chopped parsley.
- Brush the edges of the pastry with the beaten egg and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Quenelle the goat’s cheese or roll into marble sized balls. Place five quenelles or balls on top of each galette and return to the oven for a further five minutes.
- Remove the galettes from the oven and cool for a couple of minutes.
- To serve, drizzle with the pesto and top with the mixed leaves. Drizzle the crème fraiche over the mixed leaves and garnish with a couple of cherry tomato quarters. Sprinkle with the toasted sesame and cumin seeds for extra zing.
TIP: For a different flavour, replace the crème fraiche with ricotta and use sliced tomatoes instead of the sweet potatoes.