It couldn’t get any simpler than this warming winter soup; most of the work is done in the roasting oven, all you need to do is add some hearty homemade stock and cream, blitz it, and serve.
- 1 large butternut squash, halved lengthways and seeds removed
- 2 red onions, halved
- 1 bulb garlic, halved
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 litre good quality hot chicken/vegetable stock
- 100ml cream
- Preheat oven to 200ºC/gas mark 6.
- Put the squash, onions and garlic, cut side up, on a large baking sheet and drizzle over the oil and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast uncovered for 30–45 minutes or until completely cooked.
- Remove from the oven and scoop out the squash flesh into a soup blender. Remove the skin from the onions and pop out the garlic cloves from their skins and add into the squash.
- Pour in the hot stock and blend until smooth. Add in the cream and blitz again.
- Pour into a saucepan to heat through to piping hot and serve in warmed bowls.