- 500g spinach leaves, large stems removed, leaves roughly chopped
- 50g frozen fenugreek leaves, defrosted (optional)
- 2 tablespoons ghee or vegetable oil
- 250g paneer (a firm Indian curd cheese),
- Cut into rough 2cm cubes, patted dry with kitchen paper
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- A pinch of salt
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2cm piece of ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- A pinch of cumin seeds
- A pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- A pinch of dried red chilli flakes (optional)
- 3–4 tablespoons double cream
- A handful of fresh coriander, roughly
- Chopped (optional)
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice, to taste
- Wash the spinach, then tip the wet leaves into a large pan with a lid, set over a medium heat. Steam along with the fenugreek leaves, if using, for 4–5 minutes, until the spinach has just wilted (work in batches if necessary). Drain and cool in a colander set over the sink.
- Heat the ghee or oil in a large wide pan with a lid over a medium heat. When the ghee has melted, carefully add the paneer (it may splatter). Cook for just 1 minute or so on each side, then turn – you want it to be golden, but not dry. Use tongs to remove from the pan and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the onions to the pan, along with a pinch of salt. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring, until soft and barely browned.
- Add the garlic, ginger, garam masala, turmeric and cumin seeds and cook for 3–4 minutes, stirring often.
- Gently squeeze the excess water out of the cooled spinach (not too thoroughly, but it mustn’t be soggy) and add it, along with the cooked paneer, to the pan.
- Add the nutmeg, chilli flakes, if using, and 3 tablespoons of the cream and cook briefly, stirring until well combined.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the coriander leaves, if using, and squeeze over a little lemon juice.
- Taste and decide if you want to add more chilli flakes, cream, lemon or salt. Serve immediately.
Recipe extracted from LEON Happy Curries by Rebecca Seal and John Vincent (€19.53) published by Octopus. Photography by Steven Joyce.