For the crackers:
- 250g/9oz/1 2/3 cups flour, plain (all-purpose) or ½ plain – ½ wholemeal
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 40g/1½ oz/1/3 cup mixed seeds, plus more for dusting
- 40g/1½ oz/ 2/3 cups seaweed, dried and ground
- 60ml/ 2oz/ ¼ cup olive oil
- 120ml/ 4oz/ ½ cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon golden syrup
For the soup:
- 700g/1lb 8oz courgettes, washed
- 30ml/1oz/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 tablespoons porridge oats
- 1 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 600ml/1pint/1½ cups water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable stock
- 80ml/3oz/1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1½ teaspoons curry powder
- 2 balsamic vinegar
- 30ml/3oz/1/3 cup Greek-style yoghurt
- Parsley, minced
- To make the crackers, preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 5.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, seeds (sesame, chia, fennel, flax etc.) and seaweed (dillisk, sea lettuce, nori etc.).
- Stir in the oil, water and golden syrup until the dough comes together, adding more water as needed.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Turn onto a lightly floured worktop and roll the dough thinly. Sprinkle the dough with more seeds and press in.
- Cut to size/shape with a cookie cutter and place on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper.
- Bake in the middle of a preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Cool on a wire rack and store in an air-tight container, at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- For the soup, coarsely grate 600g/1lb 4oz courgettes, finely grate the other 100g 4oz
- In a large saucepan over a medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and salt, sweat until soft.
- Stir in the oats and cook until lightly coloured and fragrant.
- Add the coarsely grated courgettes, thyme, water and stock and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and purée with a hand-held blender until smooth.
- Return to the heat and stir in the coconut milk, 2 teaspoons of lemon zest and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Season to taste with curry powder and a splash of vinegar.
- Add the finely grated courgette, correct the seasoning and serve with a dollop of yoghurt and parsley.