- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 large potato
- 1 onion
- 25g butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 litre chicken or veg stock
- 500ml full fat milk
- 100ml cream
- Croutons, to garnish
- Wash the cauliflower, remove the stalk and chop into florets. Peel the potato and dice. Finely slice the onion.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large saucepan and add the veg. Allow to sweat over a low heat for at least ten minutes. Do not allow to colour.
- Pour in the stock and bring the boil. Return to a simmer, add the milk, season and simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes until all the vegetables are soft.
- Purée until very smooth. Add the cream, stir and serve with crispy croutons.
More interesting garnishes include crispy bacon, truffle oil, sautéed mushrooms or some crumbled blue cheese.