- 8 carrots
- 1 onion
- 2 thumb-sized pieces ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1 orange
- Salt and pepper
- 1 handful parsley, to garnish
- Sour cream, to garnish
- Peel and roughly chop the carrots and onion. Peel the ginger and garlic and slice.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter and add the olive oil. Add the onion and sweat for 10 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, cumin and nutmeg and sauté for several minutes.
- Add the carrots, followed by the stock. Squeeze in all the juice of the orange and season. Bring to the boil and then allow to simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the carrots are soft.
- Purée until smooth. Garnish with some chopped parsley and a dollop of sour cream and serve.
Adding pulses or grains to soup will really bulk them out. Add at the same time as the stock.