- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 white onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 sticks celery, finely diced
- ½ medium parsnip, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, dry toasted
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 3 large beetroots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 litre vegetable stock, hot
- ½ lemon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 100g pistachios, shelled
- 100ml crème fraîche
- Pea shoots
- Heat the oil in a large deep pot over a medium heat. Add the butter and allow to foam then add the onion, celery, parsnip, garlic and spices.
- Stir for one to two minutes, then turn down the heat slightly. Allow the veg to cook without colouring until softened, approximately eight more minutes.
- Add the beetroot, then top with the stock. Bring to a simmer then cover and cook until the beets are tender, approximately 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, take the shelled pistachios and blanch for one minute in boiling water. This brings out the bright green colour. Drain and cool immediately in iced water. Drain again, dry on kitchen paper then chop roughly.
- Once the beetroot is very soft, use a hand blender (or transfer to a blender) to purée the soup. Squeeze over half a lemon then season well with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into warm bowls then garnish with the crème fraîche, pistachios and pea shoots.
Add a swirl of horseradish to the crème fraîche for extra heat.