- 250g wholemeal flour
- 250g plain white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 500ml buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons oat bran
- Preheat an oven to 210°C or fan oven 195°C.
- Sift and mix all dry ingredients, make a well in the centre and add the buttermilk.
- The mixture should be soft and floppy (if not, add a little more buttermilk). Knead on a floured surface for half a minute, making a round shape.
- Place on a floured metal baking tray or tin. Cut a cross using a floured knife and put in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 190°C for a further 35 minutes (if using a fan oven the temp should be 195°C and 175°C).
- After this, tap the base of the bread and it should make a hollow sound. If not, put back in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and wrap in a cotton or linen tea towel, standing it on its side (this softens the crust).
Recipe courtesy of Aldi.