- 25g salted butter, at room temperature
- 25g Demerara or soft light brown sugar
- 1 orange, zested
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 320g pack ready rolled puff pastry
- 50g zesty orange dark chocolate, finely chopped
For the decoration:
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp white chocolate stars (optional)
- Mix the butter, sugar, orange zest and mixed spice in a small bowl. Unroll the pastry and evenly spread with the spiced butter, leaving a 1cm strip along one long edge. Sprinkle over the chopped chocolate and gently press onto the butter to stick.
- Brush the uncovered strip with a little water then, starting at the opposite side, gently roll up the pastry into a long spiral, pressing gently to seal the pastry at the end. Slice into 19 x 1cm pieces with a serrated knife, arrange on a lined baking sheet and freeze solid, then transfer to an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months.
- To serve, arrange the pastries on a large, lined baking tray in a Christmas tree shape, seam sides inward, leaving a 1cm gap between the swirls. Defrost at room temperature for 1-2 hrs. Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200℃, 180℃ fan. Bake for 18-20 mins until puffed and golden, turning the tray halfway through. Set aside to cool for a few mins.
- Meanwhile, sieve the icing sugar into a small bowl, add 1 tsp water and beat until smooth. If it’s not thin enough to drizzle, add water a drop at a time. Drizzle over the pastries, then scatter with the silver balls and white chocolate stars, if you like.
If you really want to elevate this dessert and aren't tight on time, why not try make your own puff pastry from scratch? Trust us, it's easier than it sounds. Click here for a beginner's guide to pastry.