- 150g tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- Crushed salt
- Mix together all the ingredients, along with 120ml of water and ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- If it is too runny, add a bit more tahini.
- If it is too thick, add a bit more lemon juice or water. You want the consistency to be like that of a smooth, runny nut butter.
- It will thicken up when left to sit around, so just give it a stir and some more lemon juice or water every time you use it.
Recipe taken from Falastin: A Cookbook by Sami Tamimi and Tara Wigley (Ebury Press)
The creamy, nutty, rich addition to many a snack, dish or feast. It’s there on every table in Palestine, ready to be dipped into or drizzled over all sorts of things: roasted vegetables, fish or meat, and all sorts of leaf, pulse or grain-based salads. It keeps well in the fridge for 3–4