- 1.25kg sweet potatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped basil leaves
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- 400ml single cream
- 100ml skimmed milk
- 30g Gruyère cheese
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Peel 1.25kg sweet potatoes and thinly slice using a mandoline or sharp knife. Put the slices into a large bowl.
Add 2 grated garlic cloves, 1 tbsp chopped thyme leaves and 2 tbsp chopped basil leaves to the bowl, along with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Mix together. Put 400ml single cream and 100ml skimmed milk into a jug and stir.
Layer the sweet potato slices, garlic and herbs evenly in a 26cm round baking dish. Pour over the milk and cream mixture. Let it stand for a minute or two to allow the milk mixture to settle into the potato layers, then cover with foil and bake in the oven for 40 mins.
Remove the baking dish from the oven and discard the foil. Sprinkle over 30g grated Gruyère cheese (or a vegetarian alternative) and return to the oven for a further 25 mins, or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.