- 225g dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 3 eggs
- 85g butter
- 140g dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons treacle
- 100ml milk
- Chop and stone the dates and combine with 175ml of boiling water. Leave to soak for 30 minutes or until soft and then mash with a fork. Add the extract.
- Butter and flour a pudding bowl.
- Combine the flour and soda and set aside
- Beat the butter and sugar together and then add the eggs, one at a time, beating them into the mixture. Add the mushed dates, liquid and milk. Now fold the flour into the wet ingredients, pour into the pudding basin. Cover with a sheet of greaseproof paper and then a sheet of in foil, Fold over the edge.
- Place in a saucepan, pour boiling water around the bowl until halfway up the sides and cover with a lid. Steam for an hour and a half or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Serve with lots of cream.