- 450g spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 handful Parmesan, grated
- Bring a large pot of well-salted water to the boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain lightly, reserving some of the pasta water – about two tablespoons.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium heat and add the oil, garlic and chilli and sauté lightly until the garlic just turns a light golden colour. Do not overcook or the garlic will turn bitter.
- Add the grated lemon zest.
- Add to the pasta, squeeze over the lemon juice and mix in the parsley. Add another drizzle of oil, garnish with Parmesan and serve.
Click here for more pasta recipes.
- The quality of the ingredients makes or breaks it so invest in good olive oil.
- A classic Italian dish deserves a classic Italian white wine, such as a Pinot Grigio or Soave. Anything with a bit of spice to balance out the chilli or nutty tones to match the oil will also work well.
- Add toasted breadcrumbs for added crunch.
- Use a vegetarian alternative to Parmesan to make this dish suitable for vegetarians.