- 500g undyed smoked haddock, boneless and skinless, cut into large pieces
- 250g leeks, washed and sliced
- 500ml milk
- 2 bay leaves
- Pinch of nutmeg, freshly grated
- 60g butter
- 25ml olive oil
- 2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- 50g plain flour
- Zest from ½ lemon
- 500g potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
- 125g breadcrumbs mixed with ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 100g cheddar cheese, grated
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- Preheat an oven to 160ºC/gas mark 3.
- Add the smoked haddock, milk, bay leaves and nutmeg to a large pan. Simmer on low heat for 5-8 minutes, then strain. Reserve the milk and haddock - set aside separately.
- Add the butter, olive oil and leeks to a medium-sized pan and sauté on low-medium heat. Season and cook until the leeks are translucent, then add the curry powder and flour. Cook for a further five minutes.
- Add the potatoes to the pan and mix well. Slowly add the warm strained milk and stir continuously until a velvety smooth sauce starts to thicken slightly - this should take 4-6 minutes. Add the lemon zest and check the seasoning.
- In a large baking dish, add a half the potato and leek sauce, then top with half of the smoked haddock and half of the cheddar cheese, then repeat. Top with the breadcrumbs.
- Bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes until the gratin is golden brown and bubbly. Serve with a fresh, crisp green salad & crusty bread.
Recipes courtesy of Avoca.