- 1 large brown onion
- 1 red onion
- 2 sticks celery
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 aubergine
- 1 long red pepper
- 250g carrots
- 1 red chilli, approximately 20g
- 1 heaped teaspoon ground cumin Ground Cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 50ml olive oil
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g tin red kidney beans
- 1 x 400g cannellini beans
- 1 x 400g chickpeas
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Prep the vegetables: Peel, half and chop the onions. Chop the aubergine into medium-sized chunks. Cut the pepper in half lengthways, remove the seeds and slice thinly. Wipe the celery and chop into slices. Peel the carrots and chop into small chunks. Peel and mince the garlic. Finely chop the chilli along with the seeds.
- In a large frying pan, sauté the onions, aubergine, celery and peppers in the oil for 5 mins.
- Add the chopped chilli and garlic, dried herbs, paprika, cumin and 250ml water. Bring to the boil and transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add the 2 tins of chopped tomatoes, chopped carrots and the soy sauce, season with some salt and black pepper, then stir well and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Drain the beans and add to the chilli, mix well and cook for another 60 minutes.
- Divide between bowls and serve.
For more vegan recipes, click here.
Don't have a slow-cooker? No problem!
Once you have sautéed the vegetables in the frying pan and added the chilli and water, transfer to a large saucepan. Add the tinned tomatoes, carrots and soy sauce, season, cover and cook for 35 minutes.
Drain the beans, add to the chilli and cook for another 20 minutes.