- vegetable oil, for deep-frying, plus 2 tsp
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 75ml sparkling water
- 250g raw jumbo king prawns
- ½ tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 spring onion, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, desseded and finely chopped
- Half-fill a medium, high-sided saucepan with oil and heat over a medium heat until it reaches 180°C. Meanwhile, put both flours in a bowl and slowly whisk in the sparkling water until smooth. Dip the prawns into the mixture to fully coat.
- Working in 2-3 batches, use tongs to lower the prawns into the hot oil: cook for 3-5 mins until pale golden, crisp and cooked through. Transfer to play lined with kitchen paper and immediately sprinkle a little of the salt and pepper onto each batch.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tsp oil in a small saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the spring onion and chilli and cook for 1 min until slightly softened. Transfer the prawns to a serving bowl and garnish with the spring onion and chilli to serve.