- 225g butter, softened
- 50g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 340g plain flour
- 750g rhubarb, leaves removed and stalks cut into 4cm lengths
- 250g sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 1 egg combined with 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 180oC/gas mark 4.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth and then stir in the eggs followed by the flour. Turn out onto some clingfilm, wrap and chill in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Roll out the pastry and use two-thirds of it to line a 20cm tart tin. Scatter over the rhubarb and sugar. Roll out the remaining pastry and cover the rhubarb, sealing the edges. Brush over the egg wash and scatter over a further tablespoon of sugar. Prick with a fork and bake for 45 minutes to one hour or until golden brown and bubbling.
- Serve with lots of cream.
Click here for more baking recipes.
A teaspoon of grated ginger adds bite and attitude.