- 500g smoked haddock
- 1 litre milk
- 125g butter
- 125g flour
- 2 leeks
- 3kg salmon, diced
- 300g cod, diced
- 20g prawns
- 200ml cream
- 1 bunch dill
- 1 tablespoon Dalkey Island mustard
- 1kg mashed potato
- For the herb crust
- 50g parsley
- 50g chervil
- 10ml olive oil
- 200g dry breadcrumbs
- To prepare the crust, blend all together in a food processor until fine.
- Poach the smoked haddock in milk for five minutes. Remove the haddock and retain the milk.
- In a pan, melt butter and add the flour to make a roux, cook for two minutes until golden brown, add strained milk and cook out until thickened, whisking continuously as you go.
- Slice leeks and blanch in boiling, salted water for one minute, refresh in iced water.
- Add the diced fish, prawns, cream, leeks, dill and mustard.
- Divide the mix into four individual baking dishes or one large dish, top with the mash and sprinkle over the herb crust. Bake at 170ºC/gas mark 3 until golden brown, 20-30 minutes. Serve with a green salad and some crusty bread to mop up the sauce.
Click here for more seafood recipes.
For a gluten-free option, omit the flour and replace with some mash to thicken the sauce.