- 500g caster sugar
- 4 large free range eggs
- 10g vanilla extract
- 300g sunflower oil
- 400g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 450g carrot, grated
- 50g pineapple, chopped
- 50g walnut, chopped
- For the cream cheese frosting
- 100g icing sugar
- 1 lemon, zest
- 100g butter
- 200g full fat, firm, cream cheese
- 1 Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas mark 4. Line 2 x 15cm round tins.
- Beat the sugar, eggs and vanilla until light and foamy. Add the sunflower oil and mix until
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cocoa together. Stir this dry
mix into your batter.
- Stir in the carrot, pineapple and walnuts. Pour the batter into your prepared tin and bake for
- Cool completely before removing the cake from the pan, and certainly before frosting it.
- To make the frosting, beat the icing sugar, zest and butter until it comes together like
breadcrumbs.Add the cream cheese and beat until it becomes smooth. Pipe or spread on one sponge before placing the second sponge on top. Pipe or spread the second layer of frosting on the top of the cake and decorate as you see fit.
The pineapple adds moisture, as well as allowing you to reduce the amount of sugar needed in the recipe. If you’re using tinned pineapple, drain the pieces and then chop.