- 1 teaspoon cardamom seeds, ground with a pestle & mortar
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground chilli powder
- 12-15 chicken thighs, skinned and cut into 5cm strips
- 200ml coconut milk
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1/2 lime, zest only
For the salsa
- 1/2 pineapple, finely diced
- 1 small green chilli, finely diced
- 1/2 lime, juice only
- 1tablespoon sugar
- Handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Handful mint leaves, roughly chopped
- Flat bread to serve
- Heat a dry frying pan over a moderate heat. Leave to get hot and then add the
spices and dry fry for a few minutes until they release their aroma. Take care,
they burn easily. Add to the coconut milk, garlic, ginger, lime juice in a bowl and
mix well. Add in the chicken and coat it well. Cover with cling film and refrigerate
for at least one hour, overnight is even better.
- Mix all the salsa ingredients together and season with salt and black pepper.
- Using 8 metal skewers (if using wooden skewers soak in water first), thread on
the marinated chicken pieces.
- Set a heavy-based griddle pan over a medium heat and chargrill the skewers
for 3-4minutes on each side or until completely cooked.
- Serve with pineapple salsa and some warmed flat bread.
It’s vital to buy really good quality spices. My favourite is Green Saffron who recommend buying
small amounts of premium spices, more often. They are right." - Hugo Arnold