- 1 whole chicken
- 100g fresh ginger
- 200g fresh mint, chopped
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- Water, to cover the chicken (about 3–5 litres)
- 50g cooked egg noodles
- 50g cooked chicken
- 20g beansprouts
- 1 water chestnut, sliced
- 4 bamboo shoots, sliced
- ½ scallion, sliced diagonally
- 1 chilli, sliced diagonally (optional)
- 1 handful picked coriander leave
- 1.Place the chicken in a large heavy-based pot. Peel and slice the ginger and add to the pot along with herbs and celery. Cover with cold water, bring to the boil and then simmer for two hours or until the legs and thighs are falling off the bone.
- Remove the chicken and set aside to cool enough to pull the meat apart. Set aside
- Strain the broth and season to taste.
- Serve in a deep soup bowl, adding the soup filling ingredients in the order listed. Top up with hot broth.
Photography by Harry Weir
If the chicken is still hot when removing from the pot, use plastic gloves to avoid getting burned.