- 100ml rapeseed oil, plus extra for frying
- 400g of frozen spinach, defrosted
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 x 270g pack of filo pastry (7 sheets)
- 23cm/9” springform tin
1. Preheat your oven to 180C/gas mark 4.
2. Brush the inside and base of your tin with oil.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of rapeseed oil in a medium pan and sauté the onions, garlic and peppers for 3-4 minutes until soft.
4. Squeeze the defrosted spinach really well to remove as much liquid as possible. Put the spinach in a bowl with the contents of the pan and add the eggs.
5. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and add the feta cheese, folding in gently. Set the mixture aside while you prepare the pastry.
6. Unwrap the pastry and put one sheet onto a board. Cover the rest of the sheets with a damp tea towel while you work. Pour the oil into a bowl and brush the pastry sheet with rapeseed oil then lay another sheet across the first. Brush with oil and lay another sheet down in the direction of the first and again brush with oil. Add another sheet as the second and brush again with oil.
7. Lift the pastry cross into the tin allowing the pastry to drape over the edges.
8. Fill the pastry case with the filling then lift the overhanging pastry onto the filling, crumpling it as you do.
9. Brush the remaining three sheets of pastry with the oil and use to cover the centre of the pie, scrunching them before placing them.
10. Bake the pie for 30-35 minutes until golden on top and crisp.
11. Cool for 10-15 minutes before serving with a little dressed salad on the side.
Recipe courtesy of Lakeshore
For more tasty vegetarian dishes, click here.
You could also swap out the spinach for any other seasonal leafy greens.