- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
- 50g butter
- 1.2 litres vegetable stock
- 350g petit pois
- 1 bunch mint, finely chopped
- 300ml milk
- Sweat the onion and potato in the butter over a very low heat for 10 minutes, without colouring.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil, and cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the potato is tender.
- Raise the heat, stir in the peas and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the mint and then immediately purée in a blender, adding the cold milk as you do so.
- Season with salt and pepper, reheat gently and serve.
Best served with brown bread and Irish butter, a dollop of crème fraiche and chopped mint to finish.