- 1 French baguette
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pepper
- 1 red onion
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- 6 basil leaves
- 150ml olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 100g Toonsbridge mozzarella
For the watercress-mint pesto
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 bunch watercress
- 1 bunch mint
- 50g pine nuts
- 30g grated Parmesan, to taste
- 100ml olive oil
- Cube or slice the French baguette and toss in the olive oil and garlic, toast in a preheated oven at 180ºC/gas mark 4 until golden and crisp.
- Dice the onion, pepper and cherry tomatoes.
- For the pesto, crush the garlic with a little sea salt in a pestle and mortar, add in the watercress and mint leaves and crush to a purée, add in pine nuts. Finally, add in the grated Parmesan and slowly add enough olive oil to loosen it.
- Toss the dried bread with the vegetables, tear in the fresh basil and dress with the balsamic and olive oil. Do this at the last minute if possible.
- Tear the mozzarella and add to the salad and drizzle over the pesto.
For more great salad recipes click here
Recipe from The Butler's Pantry
Tip: Use basil pesto instead of watercress