It's best known as a whiskey-based cocktail but Killowen Distillery in County Down has a different take on the classic drink. They've left the whiskey aside and make their version of an Old Fashioned with poitín. I
They've left the whiskey aside and make their version of an Old Fashioned with poitín. It's a simple recipe and a nice spin on the much-loved cocktail. Give it a try.
1 shot Killowen Poitín
1 sugar cube
3 dashes bitters
The peel of one orange
- Place sugar in the bottom of the rocks glass.
- Add bitters and muddle together until combined.
- Add preferred amount of ice and pour over poitín.
- Stir until sugar is mostly dissolved.
- Hold a piece of orange peel between your thumb and forefinger and squeeze over the glass to release the oil.
- If you like, you can carefully use a match or lighter to flame the orange oils for a caramelised flavour.
- Garnish with the orange peel.
Recipe from Killowen Distillery