For the base
- 1 ½ cups/160 g almond flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil.
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
For the caramel
- ½ cup/125ml peanut butter
- 1/3 cup/80 mls maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
For the topping
- 120g dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
1. To make the base, add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix together till it resembles a ball of dough.
2. Line a 7x7 or 9x5 baking tray with greaseproof paper.
3. Add the dough to the tray and press it until the tray is covered. Pop it into the freezer for ten minutes, while you get on to the next step.
4. In a bowl combine the peanut butter, maple syrup and melted coconut oil, whisk together until it resembles caramel.
5. Remove your base from the freezer. Pour over the caramel onto your base and pop back in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes.
6. About five minutes before you take out your tray, prepare your chocolate topping. Break up your chocolate and add into a glass bowl. Pop it over a pot of boiling water, melt the chocolate and combine in the the final tablespoon of coconut oil.
7. Remove your tray from the freezer, and pour the chocolate onto the caramel and almond base, then put it back in the freezer for about 5 minutes, until the chocolate has hardened.8. Cut into squares and that’s it!
Recipe and image by The Vegan Honeypot
You could use melted vegan butter instead of coconut oil. Also, coconut flour can be used instead of almond flour.