- 225g butter, softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 4 eggs
- 225g self-raising flour
For the topping
- 2 lemons, juice of one and zest of both
- 110g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Grease and line an 11 x 7 inch tray with parchment paper.
- Beat together the butter, sugar and lemon zest with an electric mixer for 3-4 minutes or until it has a pale creamy consistency. Whisk in the eggs, then sift in the flour and beat for another 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the topping, mix the lemon juice and half of the zest with the icing sugar and beat until a runny consistency has been achieved. If the icing is too thick, add extra lemon juice or boiling water to thin it out.
- Drizzle or spread the icing over the top of the cake and garnish with the rest of the lemon zest. Cut the cake into 12 bars/slices.
Recipe courtesy of Edward Hayden.
Click here for more baking recipes.
- Consider varying the flavour and substituting the lemon for some orange, coffee essence or even melted chocolate for a different flavour.
- I normally cut all the crusts off first before I cut the cake into slices; you can decide yourself what to do with the crusts!