- 190g plain flour
- 180g granulated sugar
- 150g butter
- 2 large eggs
- Zest & Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp gem bread soda
- Icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 175°C for a fan assisted oven or 195°C for a non-fan assisted oven.
- In a bowl, combine 180g of flour, 120g of butter (cubed at room temperature), and 60g granulated sugar. Using your fingertips, rub everything together to form a breadcrumb-like consistency.
- Grease and line an 8x8" baking tray. Pour the shortbread mix in and pack down using the bottom of a glass. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until beginning to turn golden brown.
- In a separate bowl, combine the rest of the sugar and the juice and zest of 1 lemon. Mix with a fork until the sugar dissolves. If you want a really strong lemon flavour, use 2 lemons.
- Add in the eggs and whisk for about 30 seconds until combined. Melt the remaining butter and allow it to cool before adding that to the lemon mix. Add the remaining 10g of flour and bread soda.
- Once the shortbread mix is out of the oven and slightly cooled, pour the lemon mix over it and bake for a further 12 minutes until starting to brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before removing from the tin. Cut into 9 or 16 squares and dust with powdered sugar.
Recipe courtesy of Gem Pack Foods
For more sweet treats, click here.
Always bake lemon bars at a lower temperature to avoid over-baking!