- 1 unwaxed lemon
- 1 orange
- 150g butter
- 3 eggs
- 250g caster sugar
- 200g ground almonds
- 175g polenta
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
For the drizzle:
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- Lots of whipped cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4 and grease a 23cm cake tin.
- Place the lemon and orange in a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Simmer for an hour or until soft and collapsing. You may have to add more water as they simmer. Halve, remove the pips and blitz to a pulp.
- Add the rest of the cake ingredients and continue blitzing until you have a soft gooey dough.
- Spoon into the cake tin and bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.
- For the drizzle, stir the lemon juice and zest with the sugar and heat gently to dissolve the sugar. When the cake is cooked, pour over the drizzle and allow to cool. Serve with lots of cream and some poached autumn fruit if you like.
- You can make this all orange or all lemon as you like, but more sugar is required for the lemon version.
- This is flourless so good for those on gluten-free diets. Watch out for the baking powder though, some of them contain gluten.