- 500g/1.1lb diced lamb
- 4 large tomatoes or 1 small tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 parsnip
- 1 large onion
- Chopped rosemary leaves
- 200ml/6.7fl oz good homemade chicken stock (made from the leftover bones of a roast chicken)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 700g/1.5lb nice buttery mash potato to cover the top
- Fry off the diced lamb with a little cooking oil in a wide stockpot for 5 to 6 minutes until golden brown.
- Peel and slice the vegetables. Add the vegetables to the meat and fry off for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the chopped garlic, rosemary and salt. Add the chopped tomatoes and the chicken stock and simmer on low heat for 2 to 3 hours until the meat starts to become flaky.
- Pour the lamb stew into a pie dish, cover with mash potato and bake at 150 degrees C for 45 minutes.