- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- Bunch coriander, leaves and stems roughly chopped
- Bunch parsley, leaves picked and roughly chopped
- 300g minced lamb
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- A little oil for frying
- 1 lemon, quartered
- Lightly toast the cumin and coriander seeds in a hot, dry frying pan. Place in a pestle and mortar along with the paprika and cayenne and grind to a powder. Add the onion and garlic and crush to a paste. Add the coriander and parsley and continue pounding until you have a nice green sticky mess. Combine with the lamb, pine nuts and egg, season with salt and pepper and shape into burgers.
- Cook for five minutes on each side or until done to your liking and serve with lots of lemon, some salad and maybe a toasted pitta bread or two. We love to eat these burgers on a bun with some tzatziki and lots of salad.
Recipe by Hugo Arnold
If you buy mince from a butcher for burgers get them to add in lamb to a ratio of 60% beef, 40% lamb. The flavour is still of beef but there is a succulence.