300g pitted dates
10g bread soda
25g baking powder
1tsp vanilla essence
For the butterscotch sauce:
- 110g butter
- 110g brown sugar
- 150ml pouring cream
For the pudding:
- Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas Mark 3.
- Place the dates, water into a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Add the bread soda and allow to simmer for 10 minutes then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Using a hand blender, blitz until a coarse consistency is achieved.
- In the meantime, in a bowl cream together the butter and sugar using a dough mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and sieve in the flour and baking powder continue to mix until smooth.
- Pour in the milk and add the vanilla essence. Add in the cooled date mixture and combine well.
- Pour into a greased and pre-lined baking tray or individual cake mould.
- Place in the preheated oven for 40minutes for the large one or 20 minutes.
For the sauce:
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and then add in the brown sugar. Allow this mixture to come to the boil. Be very careful at this stage as the butter and sugar mixture is very hot and could burn should it contact your skin.
- Pour in the pouring cream and whisk continuously.
- Allow the mixture to come to a boil and then reduce to a gentle simmer.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes until it coats the back of a spoon.