- 500g granary flour/malted flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10g bicarbonate of soda
- 200g blue cheese, we use Wicklow Farmhouse
- 50g honey
- 100g walnuts
- 400ml milk
- 1 tablespoon yoghurt
- Combine the flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl. Crumble in the blue cheese and mix through the flour. Don’t over mix as you want to retain little pockets of blue cheese in your mix.
- Form a well in the centre and add the honey and milk along with the yoghurt. Fold in the flour with the walnuts, making sure not to over mix.
- Grease and flour a round cake tin. Add the soda bread mix and allow to stand for two to three minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas mark 6. Bake the soda bread for 30-40 minutes. The bread is cooked when the tip of a knife comes out clean when inserted into the centre.
- Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool.
Recipe from The Firehouse Bakery
Go big and bold on flavours as they are mellowed down once cooked in the bread. Even though we use a strong blue cheese, the flavour is quite subtle in the end. We infuse our honey with ginger for an extra kick.