- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 egg yolks
- 300ml vegetable oil
- Lemon juice, to taste
- 4 large waxy potatoes
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary
- 4 x 180g rump steaks
- Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- Mash the garlic with a scant teaspoon of salt. Whisk in the egg yolks and add the oil drop by drop initially, until the mixture emulsifies and forms a thick heavy paste. You can then start to add the oil in a steady stream. As the mixture thickens, add a little of the lemon juice. Once all the oil is incorporated, adjust the seasoning and add more lemon juice if appropriate.
- Peel, or not, depending on taste, the potatoes and cut into 1cm cubes. Blanch in boiling salted water for five minutes, drain and dry.
- Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan and sauté for 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally until golden brown. Remove from the heat and add the rosemary, toss so it is well coated in the oil and set aside.
- Lightly glaze the steaks with olive oil and fry or grill the steaks for two to three minutes each side, or until done to your liking. Toss the chives with the potatoes, serve with the steak and a generous dollop of the aioli.
Make sure the steaks come out of the fridge in good time, they should be at room temperature.